MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID (MHFA)! The following post includes all details about the MHFA courses coming up. The registration link will open on Saturday at 1200, so make sure you keep an eye out for that!
WHAT: Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is the help provided to a person developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. Just as physical first aid is administered to an injured person before medical treatment can be obtained, MHFA is given until appropriate treatment is found or until the crisis is resolved.
WHO: This course is taught by Linda Rosart is an RN, OHA, and MHFA Canada instructor, for McMaster, Mohawk, Conestoga BScN students.
1) February 18 & 19 from 0900-1600 at Conestoga College – Doon Campus, Kitchener. Room TBA.
2) February 25 & 26 from 0900-1600 at McMaster University, Hamilton. Room TBA.
COST: $135/person. You will have to pay by interact e-transfer to the instructor at least one week prior to the course date to ensure your spot is held.
The MHFA Canada program aims to improve mental health literacy, and provide the skills and knowledge to help people better manage potential or developing mental health problems in themselves, a family member, a friend, a student or a colleague.
The program does not teach people how to be therapists. It does teach people how to:
• Recognize the signs and symptoms of mental health problems
• Provide initial help
• Guide a person towards appropriate professional help
• Save Lives – MHFA shares the same overall purpose as traditional first aid
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
Mira Sayah, Shannon Forbes and Maryam Salik
MUNSS Education Chairpersons, 2016-2017